Thursday, September 13, 2007

9/12 ...Constitution Day???

Well, I was going to write a lil' something for 9/11 reminding Americans that horrendous as 9/11 was in terms of human life lost, more children starve to death in Africa every single day than died in the WTC. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 yet our 'important' front in the war on terror there has led to a magnitude of civilian casualties that makes 9/11 laughable in comparison (but since they're brown people, we don't really consider them people, do we?). But The Angry (Dr.) Scientician did a pretty good job of rockin' that one. Instead I was just going to quote Zach Galifianakis:

"I want to write a joke about an Indian immigrant who gets his 7s and 9s mixed.... 'HELLO! I WANT TO OPEN A 9/11!'"

BUT! Then I got this email from the financial aid department of Adelaide University:

Dear Student,

I am writing to you to remind you that September 17 is US Constitution Day. Your government is keen for all US citizens to be more aware of this important day in your country's history and to learn more about this day and your constitution. There are a number of good websites dedicated to your constitution and your Constitution Day and I encourage you to visit some of these sites.

I hope that you enjoy this important day.

WHHHAAAAATTTT???? My goverment is so god damn concerned about ramping up patriotic sentiment (apparently a new Osama tape wasn't enough) that they're having the international institutions that disburse their loans send us this? That's some fucking bullshit. How many Americans in America will get email reminders from their banks about 'Constitution Day'? But us subversive bastards abroad may need a push-- we do tend to vote Democrat when there's a decent candidate (note: this is not often.)

So, in conclusion, Dear Government O' Mine, which somehow thinks it can piss all over the constitution (ahem, Patriot Act?) and then remind me of its importance and my duty as a good citizen to reflect on it: GET FUCKED!

Drink Count: 7

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I've lived here for 26 years and I've never received an email about any holiday. Do they think you'll forget the constitution is there?

I want to see a meaningful email from the government:

Dear U.S. Student Abroad,

Remember that next week is Christmas. Jesus died so America could be great. Remember to honor him while contributing to our vast economic machine and telling your kids that a fat white man will be breaking and entering your home to play rich-man's Robin Hood.

Sincerely,
USA! USA! USA!