Monday, March 26, 2007

3/26 The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

I did a bad thing today and started drinking early. Very early. But it was my own fault for leaving a full glass of wine on my desk last night. I got up on time and hit the writing hard and by 10:15 was getting mighty thirsty. I didn't want to get up and wreck my productive streak, and I'm a masochist at heart, so I drank that very large glass of wine and didn't look back.

I read Till Human Voices Wake Us to awesome and universal approval. Reg actually clapped when I finished it, and Phillip said it was the best thing I've written yet. How's that for strange? The moral is: you gotta throw what you know. Specificity is the key to good literature and apparently I captured that because I knew the girl I was writing about. I've seen her and smelled her and know what she thinks and feels. I've fucked her and broken her heart and held her face as she cried, so it wasn't terribly difficult to write. It came naturally once I let go and free fell into it, letting my comfortable cynicism take over. Arnold Zable said "If you write a person, you get a universal character. If you write a universal character, you get nothing." and I think that couldn't be more true. So it went well. Maybe you'll all get to read it some day.

Usual Monday UniBar ritual-- a pint of beer and a jack & coke. A glass of wine upon returning, then a spectacular take-out dinner from the Chinese place around the corner (spring rolls, fried rice and sweet & sour chicken-- yum!!) with Martina before going into hiding. Hiding included sudoku puzzles, music, a lot of wine, playing on the internet, and no writing. It's doubtful I'll have anything for Wednesday, but Monday accolades will do just fine and I feel no pressure to perform for a little bit.

Drink Count: 8 (Yes, that's really high for a Monday-- I realize this)

Hahaha. My haircut was awesome:

No comments: