As usual, Bob was excellent. Not as excellent as other shows I've seen, but homeboy does not disappoint. I would have liked to have seen The Frames opening, but in the lobby I ran into some familiar faces (two bartenders from the UniBar) and had a couple drinks with them, which got me in my seat right as Bob came on. He talked as much as usual (read: not at all), wore a ridiculous hat, played an odd assortment of songs, and odd versions of them-- as Shannon said, a 'slithery' version of Masters of War, and a blues-rock version of Blowin' In The Wind so far from the original that I didn't recognize it until the first chorus, and a nice, mellow Lay, Lady, Lay. No Tombstone Blues, no Like A Rolling Stone, no Rainy Day Women, no All Along The Watchtower, but in all fairness, Bob has a catalog so extensive that he could play full shows every night for the next two weeks and never come close to repeating a song. No matter how familiar you are, Bob will play shit you barely recognize, in a way that ensures no one can really sing along.
Before Bob, errands and a full day of hip-hop (Lil' Wayne, Atmosphere, Hilltop Hoods, Eminem) to cleanse my musical palette as well as super-errand running, shopping, printing, editing, and thinking long and hard about this looming exegesis. I also worked out when exactly I'm coming home. So. Good fun. A bottle of vodka ended that reverie and readied our motley crew for the coming awesomeness.
Drink Count: 6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment